Looking Back on The Whole Experience

 Looking Back on The Whole Experience

I have been tutoring elementary school students English since I was sophomore. Without knowing much about the field of English teaching, I can only design my students’ teaching activities in accordance with my past English learning experience. With understanding of the development of conceptual frameworks of language teaching and learning, I think I can develop my language teaching skills better. Therefore, signing up for the course, I expect to learn more about the basic concepts and techniques of TESOL. Fortunately, the course meets my expectations. The following paragraphs will discuss my reflection on my experiences, challenges, and insights gained in the course.

As for my reflection on class experiences, there are a few professor’s instructional approaches resonating with me. First, my professor applies videos as teaching aid to help students visualize theories of TESOL. For example, Chen Lily’s YouTube videos are displayed to show the theory of constructivism. This instructional approach enables me to comprehend abstract knowledge effectively. Furthermore, my professor introduces many teaching techniques and lets students operate each teaching technique right after it is mentioned. Many teaching activities are included in class, such as drilling, information gap, role play, jigsaw, and so on. The instructional approach helps leave those teaching activities a clear impression in my mind.

Apart from the instructional approaches, the Multilingual Café experience also lingers vividly in my recollection. Due to this experience, I get acquainted with my groupmates quickly and have fun with them in the following class. Additionally, I start to think about the advantage and disadvantage of language immersion. I can then come to a conclusion that immersion is not friendly to language beginners but learners with basic language skills. It’s worthwhile to try experiencing the Multilingual Café.

As for my insights into English teaching, I realize language teachers should consider students’ proficiency in the target language when designing the whole lesson plan. The differences in language proficiency between students should lead to distinct teaching principles and techniques. While my group works on our teaching project for the Big Teaching Day, we tend to forget our learners are zero-based in the target language. Thus, we once designed a teaching activity that was too hard for language beginners. Thanks to our professor’s reminder, we improved it before the Big Teaching Day. After the experience, I realize teachers, when teaching, ought as far as possible to teach students according to their abilities.

In sum, my perception of English teaching has been impacted by the course content. The professor adopts proper instructional approaches so that I can gain knowledge of English teaching effectively. I also learn from the Multilingual Café experience to differentiate the pros and cons of language immersion. While Preparing Big Teaching Day, I also realize the importance of conducting a learner analysis. Moreover, the professor mentions a variety of teaching techniques for different teaching orientation in class. I hope I can integrate these teaching techniques with my future teaching. Finally, I would like to appreciate the professor and all of the classmates for their hard work to the course!

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章